Re: European Communities and Radiation Exposure of Flight Crews

Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 Wien
AUSTRIA
Tel./Fax: +43-1-4955308
Mobiltel.: +43-664-3380333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

----------
> Von: Al Tschaeche <antatnsu@pacbell.net>
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: Re: European Communities and Radiation Exposure of Flight Crews
> Datum: Dienstag, 19. August 1997 19:46
>
> Daniel J Strom wrote:
> >
> > While perusing the very interesting Council Directive, I inadvertently
> > came across the following currently recommended law for the European
> > Communities regarding radiation exposure to flight crews.  Our European
> > colleagues would appear to have taken the lead on this issue.
>

> Can any of our European radsafers tell us what specific actions have
> been taken by any airlines in response to this Directive?  Al Tschaeche

I do not know this directive, which does not mean that it could not exist,
but it might be a proposal not yet in force. Daniel used the words
"currently recommended law". I have not seen any stewardess with a
dosemeter yet on flights within Europe, but I will look out when I fly next
week to Finland.

As far as I remember the risk to exceed 1 mSv per year is very low or non
existent on intereuropean flight routes. The doses are much higher on
intercontinental flights and the dose depends of course also on the
latitude.

About seven years ago I flew from London to LA. My younger boy was then at
the age of 10 and fascinated by aeroplanes. We were allowed to visit the
cockpit of the 747 and talked for an hour or so with the captain. I asked
the captain also whether any attention was paid to radiation and he told
me, that they sometimes have a chest x-ray.....

Franz