Legislation in relation to mineral sands

Dear Radsafers

I would like to ask you to direct me in obtaining any information in
relation to different contries' legislation in relation to mineral sands;
namely: ZIRCON, RUTILE and ILMENITE.  The mineral monazite usually
present in mineral sands contain about 6% thorium and some uranium and,
therefore, radiation monitoring programs were designed to monitor a
possible exposure of workers and members of the public.

ZIRCON, RUTILE and ILMENITE contain thorium and uranium in concentrations
incomparable with monazite and, therefore, as a separate minerals, were
not a subject for any significant radiation protection programs in
Australia.

However, the proposed limit for TENORM (Techncally Enhanced Naturally
Occurring Radioactive Materials) of 5 pCi/g (CRCPD:
http//www.webpub.com/~crcpd/) can potentially lead to classification of
ZIRCON, RUTILE and ILMENITE as 'radioactive materials'.

Any information that can be obtained on radon emanation rates from
mineral sands, information on the lack (or presence) of significant
health hazards associated with NORM from Zircon for members of the public
and workers, and information of disposal of zircon in land fills will be
very useful.

Thank you

Nick Tsurikov,
Radiation Safety Officer - RGC Mineral Sands Limited
P.O. Box 47
Eneabba, WA 6518
AUSTRALIA
ph: +61 08 9956 9555
fax: +61 08 9956 9597

e-mail:   ntsuriko@rgc.com.au

(Those views are mine only, not those of my employer)