Re: Newspaper article on Plutonium

Kbporch928@aol.com wrote:

> "A troubling, highly sensational article was published today in the
> science section of the Detroit Free Press.  Just some excerpts:"...
>
> Why aren't journalists liable for malpractice?  Irresponsible reporting
> through a major media such as a newspaper is quite similar to scams on the
> elderly.

The first amendment to the US Constitution states: "Congress shall make
no law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press ..."  The
American people have worked hard to maintain the freedom of speech and
the press.  I believe the idea is that all ideas have merit until
demonstrated otherwise.  It is up to us to demonstrate that ideas
published in the press have no merit (if such is the case).  We have not
done that effectively in the nuclear case.  We are responsible for
letting the press "get away with it."  As much as I agree with you about
media irresponsibility, I will fight to the death to preserve our
freedom of speech and the press.  Does this help any?  Al Tschaeche
antatnsu@pacbell.net