Re: Sealed Source Definition

One can find a variety of definitions, depending on the intended purpose.
May I suggest that we establish that purpose before looking for the
applicable definition.  Several possibilities......

1. to determine when infrequent surveillance simply to test containment is
to be the only safety surveillance (as opposed to the surveillance needed
for the use of unsealed/uncontained materials).  In this context a liquid
in a glass vial could certainly be considered a sealed source.
2. to describe a source that can withstand a specified level of
abuse/lack-of-
careful-handling.  DoT's special form might be an example.
3. to describe sources for which one cannot assure knowledgeable
surveillance or cannot presume trained usage.  Some of the regulatory
def's start with this presumption.

The IEC std on sealed sources in fact provides 3 or 4 levels of definition
for sealed sources, reflecting increasing levels of containment.

For the routine, laboratory-type usage I like the definition where "...
the material is contained adequately for its intended usage."

Within a given regulatory framework (NRC,DoE) you can lose flexibility
unless you have provided a specific definition appropriate for your
activities as part of your approved procedures or licensing document.

--
the above are the personal musing of the author,
and do not represent any past, current, or future