Re: What would we do with a threshold?

> My position on this is that, if a threshold is acknowledged by
regulators,
> then the ALARA concept becomes obsolete. If a dose below the threshold is
> deemed harmless, spending more money to be further below the threshold
> won't make it less harmless. Thus, there's no justification for spending
> money to reduce doses that are below the regulatory limit.

Although I agree that there would be no justification for spending money to
reduce doses below a threshold for harm, ALARA would still be a valid
approach for doses above the threshold.  However, depending on the level of
the threshold, it may be rendered academic under many circumstances.

Chris Clement
Low-Level Radioactive Waste Management Office
Atomic Energy of Canada Limited
clementc@aecl.ca
clement@vaxxine.com