Re: Disclosure of SSN

I certainly agree with turning the issue over to legal.  I also agree that
an employer has certain protections and rights.  However, just because an
employer has procedures, does not guarantee that the procedures are in
compliance with the law.  Your TV cable company can have a procedure to ask
for your SSN before providing you service, but it IS illegal to deny service
if a potential patron refuses to supply the requested SSN.

At 07:53 PM 8/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>In the nuclear power industry one runs into this problem all the
>time. I believe Elaine has provided this individual enough
>information as to why the SSN is required. If the system uses the SSN
>as a key identifier, and the individual refuses to provide it, then
>they can be excluded by the facility. No individual has the right to
>demand employment and badging at the same time they are refusing to
>comply with all of the facilities written requirements. While the
>Privacy Act does provide the individual certain legal protections,
>the rights of the employer are also evident. The purpose of the SSN I
>assume is to provide positive identification of the individual. It is
>also used in reporting information to the DOE, in Elaine's case, as
>well as to the NRC and other regulatory agencies. It is used
>throughout the nuclear industry. This issue should not be confused
>with listing each individual's SSN on dose reports or other documents
>which receive wide distribution within the facility. In that case,
>the individual does have a case whereby the information is maintained
>confidentially.
>
>I suggest that you turn this issue over to your Legal Counsel and
>Human Resources Department personnel, and let them handle the
>individual.
>------------------
>Sandy Perle
>Technical Director
>ICN Dosimetry Division
>Costa Mesa, CA 92626
>Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
>Fax:    (714) 668-3149
>
>mailto:sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
>mailto:sperle@icnpharm.com
>
>Personal Homepage:
>http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205
>http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html
>
>ICN Dosimetry Website:
>http://www.icnpharm.com/dosimetry/
>

>"The object of opening the mind, as of opening
>the mouth, is to close it again on something solid"
>              - G. K. Chesterton -

Jeff Eichorst
Occurrence Investigator
Los Alamos National Laboratory
ESH-7, MS K999, Los Alamos, NM 87545
505.665-6980		505.665-6977 fax
505.996-1117 digital pager,	myself@lanl.gov

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth."
	- JFK