RE: International use of radiation symbol

At 14:38 09/04/97 -0500, you wrote:
>occaisions, I have observed US Navy A-6 Intruder aircraft with the
>trefoil stencilled upon the nose fairing (although upside down). When I
>have questioned the pilots and bombadier/navigators about this, they
>have responded that the trefoil is there because of the radar antenna
>inside the nose.
>Bruce Pickett
>The Boeing Company
>Seattle, WA  USA
>(425)393-3098, FAX (425)393-3060
>bruce.d.pickett@boeing.com
I seem to recall something about a check source in there as well. About 2
years ago I got a notice of an unregulated spill when an American owned
Russian cargo plane belly landed and the check source (that no one knew
about until the crash) for the radar broke open and contaminated the
runway.  Said somthing about a 2" wide 1/2 mile long chunk of the runway
being stripped up for disposal.  (What ever happened to "the solution to
polution is dilution," huh?  Any body got a hose?)
I have no idea why a radar needs a check source, but who knows?  I sure
don't.

Scott Kniffin

Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarialy represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.