Re[2]: Why nuclear is a "no-win" in the USA

Message authorized by:
    : jgoody@cris.com_at_internet at x400PO

    Jim,

    I will not try to defend, question, or criticize the proposed
    plan.  Actually, I am not even sure where the number you quote
    comes from.  However, this does return us to the original point of
    my message.  It is the role of DOE to respond to the desires of
    the Administration, the Congress, and ultimately the American
    public.  Those desires are often based upon the same differences
    in perceptions and realities that we have been discussing.  The
    Department cannot arbitrarily establish and fund such an effort
    without the initiation of the Administration and approval of the
    Congress, and it is to their reality that we must respond.

    There are legitimate problems out there that must be addressed,
    along with the 'publically perceived' problems.  To oversimplify
    such problems and categorize them all as 'irresponsible' feeds
    into the same mindset that we have all been fighting.

    We in this profession are caught in a vicious circle.  We have
    lost the trust of our constituents, and need to regain it.  The
    'easy' way has always been to buy it back, but the public is
    growing very wary of that approach, as your comments reflect. But
    if we just tell them to trust us, there is no concern, where are
    we?

    Doug Minnema, chp
    Defense Programs
    Department of Energy
    <Douglas.Minnema@dp.doe.gov>

    what few thoughts i have are truly my own.