Food Irradiation

Last Friday, on NPR Science Friday, the topic was on food
safety, considering the recent outbreaks in E. coli in beef and other
incidents.  The panelists both agreed that food irradiation was safe
and effective, (although one cited environmental and employee safety
concerns).  They both agreed, as I recall, that the cost was
prohibitive.   (The host did not challenge cost at this point, but
later in the program challenged the prohibitive costs of another
proposal asking what was the public health worth.)

How much would food irradiation add to the cost of beef?  Are the
food irradition facilities currently on line capable of irradiating
the U.S. beef supply?  Or even the unpasteurized apple juice supply?

Kent N. Lambert, M.S., CHP
lambert@auhs.edu
Allegheny University of the Health Sciences
Hahnemann Division
Radiation Physics and Safety, MS 106
Broad and Vine Streets
Philadelphia, PA  19102-1192

215-762-8768 (voice)
215-762-7683 (fax)

Disclaimer:  All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say, they are not (necessarily) the opinions of my employer.