Re: Cassini

Fellow Radsafers,

Just to let you know, I have written to my Congressperson regarding the
Cassini Mission to Saturn. Here is a copy of my letter. I attached
Otto's excellent risk evaluation.

Honorable Marge Roukema
US House of Representatives
Washington, DC

Subject: Recommendation on Public Risk from Plutonium on NASA's Cassini
Mission

Dear Congresswoman Roukema,

There have been public statements raising concern from accident
scenarios from the plutonium heat generators on NASA's Cassini Mission
to Saturn.

I have reviewed the potential risk from the radioactive plutonium in the
heat generators and find that the health risk to the public, even in the
unlikely event of a launch accident or earth atmospheric re-entry, is
negligible.

Attached is a short technical risk summary by Professor Otto Raabe, an
expert in the toxicology and health effects of plutonium and current
President of the national Health Physics Society.

I conclude that there is no scientifically based public health reason
for Congress to intervene in NASA's planned launch in October 1997.

Best regards.

Very truly yours,

Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP