Re: Embryo/fetal doses

> RAY FONG wrote:
> >
> > Radsafers,
> > I am looking for actual (hi-profile) cases where developing
> > embryo/fetus
> > inadvertently received a relatively significant dose from radiographic
> > imaging sources (e.g., CT, Fluoro, Abd exams, even radiopharmaceutical
> > administration). Any current references/sources?
> > Ray

> Ray - don't send your digest next time, please. Anyway on to the
> story...
> I'm sorry this wasn't high profile but it was an interesting case I
> worked on in 1985. On 1/8/85 a patient was given a hysterosalpingogram
> (x-ray exam of uterus & etc. other bits) to diagnose possible causes of
> infertility) at the West London Hospital. Subsequent to the
> investigation it was discovered that at the time she had been nine weeks
> pregnant.
> Our original fetal dose estimate using TLDs and a pelvic phantom was
> based on 5 mins flouro screening and 5 spot films and worked out to be
> in the region 4 - 15 cGys (I think these are still rads in the US).
> Later it was discovered from the radiologist that the screening time was
> probably only about 1 min (records of routine screening times were not
> kept at this hospital). Our revised dose estimate was thus reduced to 1
> - 3 cGy.
> Based on the original estimate we did not advise any intervention in the
> course of the pregnancy. The patient was counselled and went on, I
> believe, to give birth to a healthy child, or though no follow up was
> carried out.
> I've got a feeling that at the time there was something called the
> "Danish Rule" which I think quoted a therapeutic termination dose of 10
> rads, but I could be well wide of the mark here - anybody heard of this?
> Cheers
> Andy Hancock

Can't comment on the danish rule, but I tend to use the
recommendations of the AAPM Task Group 6 report on Fetal dose from
radiotherapy with photon beams, Medical Physics Vol 22 No 1.
They have included a good summary of effect by gestation age and
include some doses to work by.

A very brief summary of risk as a function of dose
DOSE(Gy)                        RISK
<0.05                                  little
0.05-.10                              uncertain
0.1-0.5                                significant risk 1st trimester
>0.5                                   high risk all trimester

Have a look at the article to get a better idea of the risks. There
are of course several references that make good reading as well

cheers
All the standard disclaimers!!
Lindsay Tremethick
Radiation Oncology