> Von: William McCabe <WMCCABE@tnrcc.state.tx.us>
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: HP as a Profession -Reply
> Datum: Donnerstag, 11. September 1997 17:18
>

> Without the unique insights and technical expertise found within a (law
> enforcement/ political/journalist) profession, wouldn't a judgement of
that
> profession from outside by (citizens/voters/HPs) be tainted by ignorance,

> prejudice, expediency, or self-interest? (no correlation between previous
> parallels is intended)  Would that judgement really be valid?

Yes, such a judgement  m i g h t  be tainted by ignorance etc. and
unfortunately it actually is in all cases, where "experts" start their
judgment on the basis of prejudice. "I have made up my mind, do not bother
me with facts."

On the other side I know many cases, where common sense was more important
for a judgement than professional skills.

Franz