Re: Anti-Nuclear Visit

Elizabeth M. Brackett wrote:

> Dear Radsafers:
>
> I just received a visit from Ohio Citizen Action....

> It also states that Chernobyl is estimated to have caused over 140,000 fatal
> cancers and an equal number of nonfatal cancers.  I know this has been
> discussed on Radsafe before, but can someone give me a more reasonable
> estimate, with documentation?

Liz -

Some references re: consequences of Chernobyl:

1.  Kaul A, Landfermann H, Thieme M. One decade after Chernobyl: summing
up the consequences. Health Phys 71(5):634-640, 1996.
2.  Mettler FH, Jr., Becker DV, Wachholz BW, et al. Chernobyl: 10 years
later 	[news]. J Nucl Med 37(12):24N, 26N-27N, 1996.
3.  Parkin DM, Clayton D, Black RJ, et al. Childhood leukaemia in Europe
after 	Chernobyl: 5 year follow-up. Br J Cancer 73(8):1006-1012, 1996.
4.  Sali D, Cardis E, Sztanyik L, et al. Cancer consequences of the
Chernobyl 	accident in Europe outside the former USSR: a review. Int J
Cancer 67(3):343-352, 1996.

In my mind, the greatest consequences are related to the psychological
stresses of the accident.  The accident was tragic in that it did result
in the loss of many lives, but the fears of current and future
consequences related to the radiation exposure are out of proportion to
what is expected from the radiobiological standpoint.

Any reasonable discussion of the health consequences of Chernobyl will
include a discussion of low-dose effects of ionizing radiation,
something that the experts do on RADSAFE with regularity, but rarely
resulting in a consensus.  It is also a scientific discussion which is
probably not where your antagonist is coming from.  She is involved in
an emotional discussion.

Maybe if you provide the above references, you may start her on the
track to a more open-minded consideration of her concerns, but don't be
surprised if it doesn't.

Thanks for the effort.

Kevin Donohoe, M.D.
Staff physician