Re: ABHP Degree Requirement - Background and Perspective

George --

Is this the message to which you had reference?  If so, I note it is dated
on Sunday; mine was written on Friday.  Thus, there is no possible way that
I could have cribbed from you.  Indeed, one could conlude (I DO NOT,
however), that it could have been the other way around judging by the dates
of the postings.

Ron

At 10:26 PM 9/14/97 -0500, George J Vargo wrote:
> [...]
>     of documented experience under the supervision of a PE.
>
>     The times have changed and society expects more of its professionals!
>     Today, in most states a MA/MS/MEd is required for a permanent teaching
>     certificate (some states still only require BS+30 semester hours
>     post-graduate), in 1995 the entry level pharmacy degree changed from a
>     five year BS Pharm to a six year Doctor of Pharmacy.  A BS degree is
>     the norm for an RN license and a MSN is needed for upward mobility,
>     although a few two year programs remain.  Try getting a PE without an
>     ABET-accredited degree!  (It is possible in a few states in some
>     limited specialties  such as safety engineering, but forget about it
>     when it comes to the mainstream.)
>
>     Let's look over the fence at our bretheren in industrial hygiene:
>     over ten years ago they eliminated the loopholes in their program for
>     admitting non-degreed applicants.  The ABIH has recently changed their
>     requirements to a Masters degree in industrial hygiene From an
>     accredited IH program as the entry level degree for certification. (At
>     the same time as some in the health physics community are still
>     arguing over the need for a 4 year degree as a minimum professional
>     level credential!)
>
>     If health physics is to grow and mature as a profession, then our
>     professional standards need to reflect society's rising expectations.
>     Several yars ago, at an AAHP Special Session, Paul Ziemer at an AAHP
>     gave a presentation in which he cited several essential
>     characteristics of a profession.  I'm paraphrasing a bit, but among
>     these were high standards for entry, continuing education and
>     development of its members, and active promotion of its membership as
>     the primary or sole qualified practitioners of the profession.
>
>     This opens the broader question of certification and what it
>     represents.  Certification does not merely lie in the ability to pass
>     an examination.  When the American Board of Health Physics certifies
>     an individual in the practice of health physics, it does so based on
>     an examination of the candidate's 1) education; 2) professional level
>     experience; 3) demonstration of professional level work (i.e., the
>     required Radiation Protection Report); and 4) professional level
>     knowledge by means of a written examination.  Certification is a
>     representation by the Board that the candidate has not only
>     successfully met all of these standards, but also has subscribed to a
>     set of Standards of Professional Responsibility.  In my mind, this
>     places a great societal responsibility on the Board.  At the ame time,
>     certification is a purely voluntary, non-governmental process.  The
>     ABHP passes no judgement on those who do not apply for certification.
>
>     There seems to be a lot of griping about elitism.  I would argue that
some
>     measure of elitism is an essential characteristic of a profession.
There's