Re: X-ray Acne Treatment

        Radsafers,

        I have a "case in point" of a similar vein...

        I have a friend who received an x-ray treatment as a child for
ringworm.  She received "one" treatment at a local hospital to make her hair
fall out as the ringworm had spread to her scalp and face and the doctors
were afraid that it would get into her eyes (mucus membranes) and/or mouth.
I remember at one time reading that it would take 200-300 rads to cause
exfoliation of the head.  J. Shapiro's, Radiation Protection (2nd edition)
pg. 335 lists dose rates of 350 - 400 rads (so much for my memory).  As a
caveat, she developed thyroid cancer in one thyroid lobe in her late thirties.

        Joel

..

At 01:13 PM 9/16/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Jim --
>
>Low energy x-rays, ie Grenz rays, kvP < 12, were widely used in the 1940's
>and earlier (and even later as some dermatologists/radiologists continued
>their earlier practices) for superficial treatment of a variety of skin
>diseases.  Doses, which were then measured in r, were substantial, near or
>even exceeding the SED.
>
>Ron Kathren
>
>At 12:22 PM 9/16/97 -0500, mail15077@pop.net wrote:
>>Good morning,
>>
>>Have any of you ever heard of using X-rays for the treatment of acne?  One of
>>our workers has described getting such treatment in the 60's.  His
description
>>of the procedure sounds like a UV Treatment, which was common, but certain
>>aspects of his recollections would be consistent with X-ray treatment (lead
>>apron drapes, a "cone shaped" irradiator, etc.).
>>
>>If such treatment was done, do you have any estimates of the doses (or dose
>>rates) involved?
>>
>>Jim Barnes, CHP
>>Radiation Safety Officer
>>Rocketdyne Division; Boeing North American

Joel T. Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
Naval Research and Development (NRaD)
San Diego, CA., U.S.A.

The content of this message has not been reviewed or endorsed by my employer
(the U.S. Navy), the Federal government or my supervisors.