Re: X-ray Acne Treatment, a bit more

For those still interested, a text from the era (X_RAYS and RADIUM in TREATMENT of DISEASES OF THE SKIN by McKee and Cipollaro, 1946) Stipulates that 80 to 100 Kv (unfiltered, Al HVL = .57 mm) be used for treatment of Acne Vulgaris at a dose rate of 75 R per week -
"most patients will tolerate such treatments over a period of three to four months without the slightest reaction. if a cure is not effected in four months it is advised to discontinue the treatment. The treatment should be stopped as soon as the skin is clear" ! (i.e. 1275 R) They go on to describe their experience:"In the treatment of well over 5000 cases of acne vulgaris in office and clinic we have not had a single example of radiodermatitis or telangiectasis or atrophy"

In reference to Grenz Rays, they list dozens of conditions effectively treated by Grenz (including warts, port-wine mark, Kaposi sarcoma, ringworm of the scalp and ACNE VARIOLIFORMIS) but specifically note that poor results have been seen in treating (with Grenz) keloid, acne vulgaris, and several other conditions.

Well, there's a bit more than you cared to hear... but I love to have the opportunity to contribute to this always interesting forum.

Best wishes
Martin Fraser