Re: Use of Portable Radiation Monitoring Equipment

redundant levels are needed in a fixed facility very high radiation area,
I'd refer all of those that are interested to an IAEA report from 1995
(maybe early 1996, I can't seem to find my copy right now) called
"Lessons Learned from Accidents at Industrial Irradiators" (title
approximately right...I really need to find that copy).

My response to the question - there have been instances in irradiators
where the operator had confilcting signals from the control console; the
electronic switch indicated sources down, the radiation monitor said
sources were up.  Since the former indicator was not known to fail at
this facility, but the radiation monitor had given erroneous readings
several times, the operator assumed that the sources were down.  Entering
the cell without carrying a survey meter, he eventually found that the
sources were up, resulting in lethal dose.

Of course, the first supposition made in the previous posting about
"trained operator" being incorrect is at the root of almost all the
accidents discussed in the IAEA report.  My feeling is that, if the
training is adequate, all interlocks and control systems are in place and
operating correctly, the operator should carry the meter with him
entering a very high radiation area.  The consequences for not doing so
tend to be severe and the inconvenience associated with lugging the meter
relatively small.

My personal and professional opinion, but also the standard practice for
our company.

Mark Smith, CHP
SteriGenics International
web25@charweb.org