> Von: Mike Malaxos <rss@arach.net.au>
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: x-ray scanners
> Datum: Sonntag, 28. September 1997 05:24
>
> Would some Radsafers out there care to comment on the following.
>
> I am very interested in the Health Physics Community comments re the
> routine scanning of persons for diamond or other theft detection
> (administering a
> free air dose at the skin entrance position of around 15 microgray per
scan
> at 300
> scans per year).  The ethics of this practice may be of prime importance.

The Austrian Radiation Protection Law clearly states, that persons may not
be exposed to ionising radiation except for medical (beneficial) reasons.

There was once a case, where a health insurance company subjected persons
to X-rays in order to verify whether repair of teeth had been done
correctly. This was stopped almost immediately by the authorities.

Franz