Re: Laboratory Services

Dwayne:
        OUr Rad lab predominately does analysis on our own stuff (we receive
and process lots of scintillation fluid from research institutes and
universities).  Turn-around time shouldn't be a problem.  Depending on what
the analysis will be required we can have most stuff processed the day we
receive it.
        For gross alpha we use a Ludlum  43-1 probe.  For gross beta/gamma
we can use a 44-10.
        We have a Beckman 6500 with quench curves for H3, C14 and Th232.
With it we can measure both alpha and/or beta.  We routinely measure in the
uCi/ml range and we can go down to the pCi/ml range with longer run times.
We have develped software that prints a curve instead of just the numbers.
This allows us to visually verify results and also see if anything else is
in the sample.
        We can do gross gamma with a NaI single channel counter.  We do
nuclide identification with a HPGe system.  If you're doing soil samples,
are you looking for radium?  If so you may have a problem finding a HPGe
system that can read the low Ra gamma peak.  Usually we seal the container
and hold the sample for 14 days to allow for daughter buildup.  Then we can
identify daughter peaks and calculate the radium.  Energies below about
30-40 keV are difficult to read on most HPGe systems (including ours).  We
can identify most environmental level radionuclides in about an hour.  Lower
activities can require up to six hour runs.
        If our lab meets your qualifications call me and we can talk price.
Generally its $50 for gamma specs, $15-$20 for beta scintillation depending
on what pre-processing we have to do.
        I'm in my office in the mornings only.  (352) 395-1360.

- George Harder

Of all the things that I've lost, its my mind that I miss the most.