Swipe Testing

        William,

        I "personally" use the Whatman #1 filters cut into quarters (this
cuts down on self adsorption - especially with low energy betas).  I realize
that the smaller wipe/swipe area increases my chances of cross contamination
- especially with big fingers, but being as I am aware of the possibility I
have yet (& performing many thousands of wipes/swipes) [to my knowledge] to
do so.

        I "have" used many other "media" including Q-Tips/cotton swabs -
toilet paper/Kleenex tissues to wipe/swipe areas - Hey - in the middle of
NOWHERE I'll use part of my shirt/underwear if I have to.  My primary
concern is that I don't introduce any chemical/photo luminescence from my
media to my scintillation fluid.  Minor concerns include "pick-up"
efficiency of what I'm using in relation to the Whatman #1 filters -
absorption/adsorption by the wipe media of the product being used - can
those pesky betas or alphas get out to be counted etc.....

        Hope this helps,

        Joel

..

>Date: Tue, 30 Sep 97 10:14:03 -0500
>Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>From: William Lorenzen <LORENZEN_W@A1.TCH.HARVARD.EDU>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: Swipe Testing
>
>What swipe test media are commonly used when the analytical method is liquid
>scintillation counting?  I am currently using "Whatman" Number 1 filter papers
>(42.5mm).
>
>I know some use cotton swabs for instance...
>
>Any of you who are conducting wipe tests care to share what you use and do you
>prep. them in any way (wet vs. dry)?
>
>William A. Lorenzen
>Children's Hospital
>Boston, MA 02115
>
>Phone:	617-355-7516
>Fax:	617-738-4526
>E-mail:	lorenzen_w@a1.tch.harvard.edu

Joel T. Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
Naval Research and Development (NRaD)
San Diego, CA., U.S.A.

The content of this message has not been reviewed or endorsed by my employer
(the U.S. Navy), the Federal government or my supervisors.