Re: I-131 procedure bioassay requirement

On 30 Sep 97 at 10:12, Richard Wu wrote:

> Dear Radsafe
>
> ISOTOPX June issue reported a NOV for a Hospital (page 8). The
> voilation was that the licensee did not perform bioassays to their
> staff within 72 hours after the administrition of  24.8 mCi and
> 12.95 mCi gelatine capsuled I-131. When using capsuled I-131, what
> is the bioassay requirment? My understanding Part 35.315 only
> require a bioassay to be done to staff for an in-house therapy...

Yes, your understanding is correct, "For each patient...receiving
radiopharmaceutical therapy and hospitalized for compliance with
35.75 of this chapter, a licensee shall: (8) Measure the thyroid
burden of each individual who helped prepare or administer the dosage
of I-131..."

Kent N. Lambert, M.S., CHP
lambert@auhs.edu
Allegheny University of the Health Sciences
Hahnemann Division
Radiation Physics and Safety, MS 106
Broad and Vine Streets
Philadelphia, PA  19102-1192

215-762-8768 (voice)
215-762-7683 (fax)

Disclaimer:  All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say, they are not (necessarily) the opinions of my employer.