Bar code inventory experiences please.

We are considering using a bar code system for our fine chemical inventory.
 If instituted,  this would include radiolabelled chemicals.  If you
currently use a bar code system for inventory control of all fine chemicals
(not just radioactives),  I would appreciate an answer to the following
questions:

1.  From whom did you obtain the system (would also like to know if it was
"home grown".

2.  What was the purchase/development price?

3.  Who does the initial barcoding and applies the bar code tag (receiving,
safety techs, dispensary techs, other)?

4. How closely do you track each bottle in the lab environment (by person,
lab, division)?

5. Is inventory tracked real-time (quantities deleted from inventory by lab
personnel as they use them)?

6. Who collects empty bottles and reconciles inventory (dipensary techs,
safety techs, other)?

7.  Please relate your successes or limitations of the system know in place.

If you don't want to respond to RADSAFE,  please use my email address below.
 For further anonimity,  you can fax me a response on a blank piece of
paper.  My fax number is 203-778-7362.

Thanks in advance to all those who respond. I will post the results if I get
enough response for the results to be significant.

Regards,
Vince Chase
vchase@bi-pharm.com
Radiation Safety Officer
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
The opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent
the opinions policies or practices of Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals.