Re: Why a "pig"? -Reply

Maybe I can conclude the pig discussion.  The term pig iron
originated I believe in the industrial Midlands of England during the
industrial revolution.   It was quite common at this time for
ordinary folk - even in the city -to sometimes keep a pig and feed it
with the household scraps and barely edible rubbish from the
garden.   Crude smelted iron also  originally contained all kinds
of rubbish such as residual limestone and coke (partly burnt coal)
was referred to as pig iron.  Crude mouldings produced from the pig
iron were referred to as pigs.

Before I am reminded by Melissa that this discussion is getting off
topic may I remind you all of the interesting fact that the pig is
one of the best animal models for a number of radiation related
effects - particularly in the skin.

> Date:          Thu, 2 Oct 97 09:13:03 -0500
> From:          Joyce Davis <JOYCED@DNFSB.GOV>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Re: Why a "pig"? -Reply

> The term, pig, refers to a mold, or a metal casting from a mold. Lead
> shields are almost always poured mold castings, and are, hence, pigs.
> >>>>>

> Now the question is:  why are molds and casting called "pigs"
> (This may not be directly radiation-related, but it is technical and
> interesting)
> J P Davis
> joyced@dnfsb.gov

Dr Monty Charles, Reader in Radiation Physics
School of Physics & Space Research
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham B15 2TT