Plutonium -- most toxic known --???

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997 17:12:34 "Theodore S Bohn"<BST@inel.gov> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Radio-Phobia

> PLUTONIUM - Ever since plutonium was branded, "The most toxic substance
> on earth," the fear of millions (especially the radio-phobic) is
> triggered at even the mention of plutonium for any technical
> application.  I understand that there are many substances that are much
> more toxic than plutonium. Has there ever been a non-technical, user
> friendly explanation to the public by a creditable nuclear professional
> putting the harmful properties of plutonium into perspective with the
> other harmful substances on earth that the public usually don't fear?
> Silence on this subject by nuclear professionals (us) will only
> continue to reinforce this label as being true!  I would like to see a
> treatise of this sort be the subject of a 20-20 or 60 Minutes program
> to reduce this fear if the public would believe it.

In the middle of a recent exchange of messages with another subscriber
to FOODSAFE, a food safety mailing list, I received the following
gratuitous, but gentle, jab.

> As an aside, what do you risk analysts at DOE think of the idea of moving
> all toxic radioactive waste to the New Mexico desert for containment? Of
> course you know that: 1) plutonium is heat and environmentally stable; 2)
> plutonium is MORE toxic than botulinum toxin; 3) any containers will always
> degrade due to long-term radiactive damage. ?:}.

I gave the following semi-technical response:

> [...]
> with groundwater.  In addition, WIPP is sited in the middle of a thick
> bed of salt 2000 feet down.  Since salt is highly soluble in water, the
> existence of the thick bed is taken as evidence that this location has
> not been subject to significant groundwater flow for several tens of
> millions of years.  There is no mechanism other than groundwater that
> offers a plausible pathway for bringing waste stored 2000 feet down at
> WIPP back to the surface environment in the foreseeable future.
>
> Plutonium is widely believed to be the most toxic poison known, but
> there is no evidence to support that belief.  The LD50 for botulinum
> toxin is 1 nanogram per kg body weight (or 70 nanograms for a 70 kg
> man).  The allowable yearly occupational intake for workers exposed to
> Pu-239 is 200 Bequerels (1 Bq = one radioactive decay event per second)
> for inhalation and 200,000 Bq for ingestion.  To put these numbers in
> perspective, our 70 kg man is walking around with about 4500 Bq of
> potassium-40 and another 1000 Bq of rubidium-87 in his body. The Pu-239
> ingestion number is most appropriate if our concern is material stored
> in a geologic repository, but let's use the inhalation number instead.
> At a specific activity for Pu-239 of 2.3 billion Bq per g, 200 Bq
> corresponds to 87 nanograms of Pu-239 or 1.25 ng/kg body weight.  The
> corresponding number for ingestion of Pu-239 is 1.25 micrograms/kg body
> weight.  The difference is that with 1 ng/kg of botulinum toxin, half of
> you are dead right now and with 1.25 ng/kg of Pu-239, you have been
> exposed to a hypothetical hazard (its existence depends on whether the
> linear no-threshold hypothesis of cancer induction is true -- a point
> about which there is considerable scientific discussion at present) that
> has about a 1 in 200 chance of killing you in 20-30 years.
>
> Dr. ********'s point about waste containers degrading is well taken, but
> safety of the waste disposal does not solely depend on the integrity of
> waste containers.  Most waste is imbedded in or integrated into a waste
> form that is resistant to degradation -- frequently, vitrification of
> the waste.  Then the waste form is put into a container that is designed
> to resist degradation.  Finally, the waste form/container is emplaced in
> a repository location that is chosen and designed to offer additional
> barriers and delays to the return of the waste to the surface
> environment.  I make a point of this because this type of defense in
> depth also seems appropriate to the E. coli problem and should be
> incorporated into the HACCP process.  Measures should be taken on the
> farms, at the slaughterhouses, in the processing plants, in supermarkets
> and butcher shops, and in the kitchens, each of them providing a barrier
> against the eventual delivery of an infective dose of E. coli to the
> consumer.  That way, the safety of the consumer doesn't depend on any

I would be pleased with corrections or other suggested improvements to
the presentation of these issues.

Interestingly, my response generated no "flames" and one supportive
comment from a professor involved with drinking water safety issues,
noting that water treatment facilities routinely implemented defense-
in-depth approaches to drinking water safety.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA

js_dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine (and Theodore Bohn's and Dr. ********'s) and
have not been reviewed and/or approved by my management or by the U.S.
Department of Energy