Re: contamination of centrifuges

As a former molecular biologist turned HP, I can tell you that microfuges
get contaminated from minuscule quantities of radioactive liquids that get
up around the cap during handling, pipetting and vortexing. What we
required in our lab was that microfuge tubes ALWAYS receive a "touch-spin"
or a very quick spin in the microfuge (i.e., one second) prior to each and
every opening. This quick spin blows down all the liquids to the bottom of
the tubes. This is extremely effective at preventing this type of
contamination. If it is not done, then contamination of gloves and
microfuges is inevitable. We also set up our "hot" microfuge in the part of
the laboratory dedicated to handing radioactive material and required
prompt decon if found contaminated. Good luck trying to change people's
work practices!

At 06:51 PM 10/2/97 -0500, you wrote:

>hi,
>
>i'm new to radsaf and i would like to know if there are concerns/standard
>practices with regards to the internal contamination of table centrifuges,
>such as the eppendorf centrifuges.
>
>i perform swab tests for the lab and sometimes find readings over 10
>000 cpm on a lsc especially for centrifuges used with p32 and s35. any
>advice will be appreciated. thks!
>

>LEE T L William					Fax:(65)779-1117
>Mechanical Engineer/Safety Officer(Designated)	Ph :(65)8745213/8743755
>Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB)	e-mail: mcbleew@nus.sg
>15 Lower Kent Ridge Road			http://www.imcb.nus.sg
>Singapore 119076
>
>	ACCIDENTS DON'T JUST HAPPEN - DON'T COMPROMISE SAFETY!
----

Steve Costigan
ESH-1 Health Physics Operations
PO Box 1663 MS J519	       phone: 505-667-0066
Los Alamos National Laboratory   fax:   505-667-2964
Los Alamos, NM  87545	       e-mail: costigan@lanl.gov