From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Requesting help in preparing an Envi
Date: Tuesday, October 07, 1997 4:55PM

At 06:03 PM 10/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I am in process of filing NRC form 241 to assist one of our researcher to
>conduct a research in a national forest. I learned that we need to submit
>an Environmental Report since we would not be able to recover 100% of RAM
>we use. We will be using Sc-46 (84 days half life, 0.9, 1.1 MeV
>gamma). We plan to use in 100's of microcuries and the unrecovered labeled
>seeds would likely be stored in dirt by animal (about 95% recovery).
>
>I am studying 10 CFR 51 to prepare a report. I was told that the report
>would require information. I would appreciate if someone with experience
>in this area could provide me some assistance and direction. THANK YOU.
>M. Jo
>

>Myung Chul Jo <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
>University of Nevada, Reno
>Health Physics
>EH&S/MS 328
>Reno, NV 89557
>(702) 784-4540(voice)
>(702) 784-4553(fax)

Sc-46 is, as I'm sure you are aware, Byproduct Material.  The
State of Nevada, as far as I am able to ascertain, is an
Agreement State, meaning that general usage of Byproduct Material
should be under the purview of a State Regulatory agency, and
not the NRC.  Many states do incorporate by reference in their
own state regulations the provisions of Title 10, but I don't
know if this is the case in Nevada.  Before you spend too much
time on Form 241, I would recommend that you find out if this
is the proper approach for you in your state.

All caveats apply
Best regards

Judd M. Sills, CHP           |   Office: (619)455-2049
General Atomics, Room 01-166C|      Fax: (619)455-3181
3550 General Atomics Court   |   E-Mail:  sillsj@gat.com
San Diego, CA  92121         |