Re: FDA likely to approve meat irradiation-Spokesman

Wesley M. Dunn wrote:

most correctly!

> I would like to take issue with a few "knowns" in this discussion,
> some of which are still pushed my members of this listserver:
>
> First, I dispute that the public, as a whole, is concerned with
> irradiation of food.  I have never met one individual who was not a
> "save the world" type who was against food irradiation.  The only
> people who seem concerned are the "concerned citizens", the media, and
> the public officials.  People, on the other hand, wonder what the big
> deal is.

For the overwhelming majority, absolutely!

> Second, just because a news article says "nuclear radiation" doesn't
> mean that's the comparison "people" are worried about.  People are
> worried about radioactive contamination, not IRradiation.  The anti-
> food activists always hammer about food contamination (e.g., free
> radicals in YOUR food!), not about the fact the radioactive material
> and the food never touch.

Anyone with an x-ray knows they aren't made radioactive by "irradiation".

> Third, its disingenious to say "if you have nothing to hide, why
> complain about the label?".  The true public always says "if it has
> to be labeled, it must be dangerous".  Odd as it may seem, most of
> the true public actually thinks the government is trying to do its
> job.  If the government says its dangerous, people generally believe
> it to be true.  If it was safe, then the government wouldn't be
> putting all these restrictions on, now would they?

Amen! As the anti's don't kill radiation science. The _government_, thru NCRP,
and EPA, DOE, NRC, etc, and WE! do by our _actions_ - which make lies of our
words (ever wonder what is said by those "we need to explain radiation in the
schools" initiatives?)  Without those, the anti's would be substantially
ineffective, and policies would be (relatively) rational on rad risks and
limits. NCRP has implemented Gofman's standards. And look at the great work
the HPS Presidents have produced the last 2 years, then look at the nonsense
about negligible doses and interventions by some HPs, committed to ignore all
objective data and stretch any dismal non-science rhetoric to justify
responding to radiation at negligible dose. At least there's been a breath of
recognition in the self-interest basis for these actions.

> Wes

Thanks, Wes.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
muckerheide@mediaone.net