Re: Chernobly Notebook

I remember Medvedev's Chernobyl Notebook as a photocopied English
translation (of mysterious provenance) of the Novy Mir article.  I also
remember it as the most interesting thing I have read about the
accident.  Medvedev had strong opinions about both villains and heroes.
Unfortunately, I can't elaborate because a colleague borrowed my copy
and never returned it.  However, Basic Books published a (perhaps
expanded) version in 1991, _The Truth About Chernobyl_, Grigorii
Medvedev, ISBN: 0465087760.  They also published in 1993 _No Breathing
Room: The Aftermath of Chernobyl_, Grigorii Medvedev, ISBN: 0465051146,
with a less technical description of the accident and more emphasis on
the human/societal effects of the accident.  The online bookseller
Amazon (www.amazon.com) shows both books as being out of print and
suggests that they may be able to find a used copy within 2-6 months.
If you ask Amazon to search for "Chernobyl Nuclear Accident", it returns
a list of 52 books.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory