Re: Type A Certified Drums

Denny,

WHC-EP-0558 titled, Test and Evaluation Document for DOT Specification 7A
Type A Packaging, prepared for the DOE by Westinghouse Hanford, documents
performance testing for standard types of packaging to qualify as Type A
packaging.  This document states,

"The specification packaging data contained in this document will serve to
meet the requirements of 49 CFR 173.415(a) for "... documentation of
tests..." when the packagings are used as prescribed herein."

Application/reference to this document has been used to develop the
'certification statement' that has been kept on file by the shipper to
demonstrate the packaging qualifies as DOT Type A.  The 'certification
statement' is verification that the packaging and its associated contents
meet the requirements stipulated in the appropriate packaging testing
specified within this document.

Greg Larson
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Radioactive Solid Waste Operations Group
Waste Acceptance and Tracking Supervisor
Phone:  (423) 241-3273
E-mail:  larsongr@ornl.gov

At 02:44 PM 10/16/97 -0500, Denis J. Rinkacs, Jr. wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Can a 55 gal drum be DOT certified with out certification papers?
>The company is stating that they have Type A DOT certified drums
>with out bungs, but they do not offer certification papers.  I
>guess I'm confused.
>
>Denny
>
>----------------------
>Denis J. Rinkacs, Jr.
>Radiation Safety Officer
>Carnegie Mellon University
>412-268-3221
>412-268-6976 Fax
>dr4i@MAIL1.andrew.cmu.edu

Gregory R. Larson
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Solid Waste Operations Department
Radioactive Solid Waste Operations Group
Waste Acceptance and Tracking Supervisor
Bldg. 3047, Rm. 327, MS-6023
Phone:  (423) 241-3273
Pager:   (423) 873-4958
E-mail:  larsongr@ornl.gov