Re: Individual Dose Monitoring Response

> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 04:40:17 -0500 (CDT)
> Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From: "Gerry W. Kindred" <gwkindred@centerior.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: Re: Individual Dose Monitoring Response
>
> You are referring to 10CFR20.2206 Reports of Individual Monitoring.
> The licensee, as delineated in part (a) of the referenced section, is
> required to submit a report of each individuals radiation dose on or
> before April 30 of each year.  The intent (as I read the regulation) is
> for a record dose, which means TLD or Film.  However, in the event
> record dose is not available (e.g. lost TLD), a calculated dose must
> be provided.  The regulation does not have a requirement for the
> frequency that TLDs/Film Badges have to be processed.  The
> frequency of processing should be based on the anticipated dose
> the radiation worker receives over a given period of time.  From my
> experience working in power reactors, I typically have seen a
> monthly processing period for rad workers that frequent the radio-
> logically restricted area (RRA).  Radiation workers that only
> occassionally access the RRA might have their badges processed
> quarterly. On very hot jobs (i.e. steam generator jumps) I have seen
> badges processed during a shift so that the worker can make
> another entry on the same day.  After the second entry, that badge
> would be processed again.  That type of frequency is typically
> used for contract personnel that are taken right up to the
> administrative limit.  It all boils down to economics, there is a cost
> associated with processing.  I know of one utility that used to
> process their TLDs monthly.  An assessment was performed that
> concluded that about 60% of the workers seldom entered the RRA
> during power operations.  The frequency for processing TLDs for
> those personnel was changed to quarterly.  The result was a
> savings of about $50,000 per year.  10CFR20 subpart F discusses
> monitoring requirements.  Hope this helps.
>                gwkindred@centerior.com
>

> ----------
> > From: k201ckw@pinpoint.kins.re.kr
> > To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> > Subject: Individual Dose Monitoring
> > Date: Tuesday, October 21, 1997 3:17 AM
> >

> > Dear RADSAFERs,
> > If I understood correctly, "the report of the results of individual dose
> > monitoring shall be made by annually" in US in accordance with 10CFR20.
> > Would this mean that the licensee may be allowed to make a personal dose
> > measurement (TLD or film badge) in 6 months or even longer interval.
> > Is there any legal requirement for the interval of measuring the TLD or
> > film badge in US ?
> > Most grateful for your advice.
> > You may respond to my personal E-mail address :
> > k201ckw@pinpoint.kins.re.kr
> > Kun-Woo CHO
> > Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety
> > Korea.

Dear Friends;

  I think the interval of film badge dose measuring depends not only on
radiation level or economic considerations but also on some other factors
such as environmental humidity and temperature,... and even belief of
radiation workers.

Best Wishes
J. Mortazavi, Ph.D
mortazav@net1cs.modares.ac.ir