Brookhaven National Lab

The November 1997, Health Physics Society Newsletter contains 2 articles by
Andy Hull regarding the situation at Brookhaven:  (1) an editorial,
"Perception, Radiation, and the Politics of Fear", and (2) "Brookhaven Tritium
Leakage: A Nuclear 'No-Win?'".  Although I appreciate Andy's efforts in
writing these and in compiling information for the benefit of HPS members, I'm
concerned about the tone and conclusions of these articels.

The editorial seems to conclude that the situation at BNL is primarily a
public relations problem, which should be addressed by upgrading the HPS
public relations program.

Although the second article provides a useful compilation of information, it
also suggests that there problem is primarily one of public hysteria.
Although I am not named, a previous RADAFE submission of mine is quoted:  "The
problem is not the actual dose, but that the Laboratory allowed an
environmental release to occur for so long before taking any action ..."
Andy's response is that, "Coming from those knowledgeable in radiation
protection, such criticism seems to many of us who have been directly
responsible at BNL to suggest a partial understanding of the background of the
situation, to partake of 20/20 hindsight, and to beg the question of what they
would have done in our places."

Since there is little of significance in this article that is new to me, I
guess that my understanding of the situation is still "partial."  I'd
appreciate any additional information that would help me improve this.
Although, any review of lessons learned is "20/20 hindsight" (Is there any
other kind?), my intent is not to find fault, but rather to:  (1) jog the BNL
people out of the "denial" stage, and (2) help the health physics community
draw lessons learned to prevent future problems such as this.  Although I
obviously have not even made a dent in goal (1), I hope that I've accomplished
something for goal (2).

Putting this aside, however, as happens all too frequently in the nuclear
industry, rhetoric has been overtaken by events:

(1) An article in "Newsday" dated 9/11/97 describes an event involving
elevated levels of tritium in releases from the BNL sewage treatment plant.
"[Peter} Bond [BNL interim director] said the lab is pondering the possibility
that the tritium may have been released into the lab's sewer system
intentionally."

(2) An article in "Newsday" dated 10/24/97  describes a new problem - the
flooding of an underground air duct at the graphite reactor.  "Two weeks after
disclosing the discovery of an underground air duct filled with highly
radioactive water, Brookhaven National Laboratory confirmed yesterday that the
contamination is due in part to uranium, plutonium and americium."

In the light of these new developments, even after making a reasonable
allowance for media exageration, it seems that any talk of the BNL situation
as primarily a public relations problem is, at best, premature, since:  (1)
The Laboratory does not seem to have yet fully evaluated the impats of past
activities, i.e., how many other "gotcha's" are out there?, and (2) Since
there is a possibility that intentional dumping of tritium occurred after the
tritium plume was discovered, the Laboratory has not yet reached a point where
it can be assured of control over ongoing activities.

I'm afraid that they still don't "get it".

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com