Elimination of Background Radiation -Reply

Dr. Mortazavi,

Of course, background radiation cannot be eliminated although it can be
substantially reduced.  I have seen several things done for research along these
lines.  Heavy shielding with iron or steel with minimal fallout contamination is a
starting point.  Ventilation control to minimize radon and daughter product radiation
is important.  Isotopic separation to reduce the K-40 concentration in the
potassium makes a significant difference.  I have not seen H-3 or C-14 removed
but it is possible.

We see little research along these lines because it tends to be costly (and possibly
politically incorrect).  I wish your student well because the results could be
valuable.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov