Re: More Anti-Nuke Media Coverage.... -Reply

The U.S. Army was testing DU as early as 1969? or 1970?.  I performed the license closure survey on a facility
testing DU munitions when I was an Army Officer back in 1993.

Charles Blue
blue.charles@epamail.epa.gov
My opinions are my own...etc....

>>> Franz Schoenhofer <schoenho@via.at> 11/07/97 05:00pm >>>
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 Wien
AUSTRIA
Tel./Fax: +43-1-4955308
Mobiltel.: +43-664-3380333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

----------
> Von: Bob Flood <bflood@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: Re: More Anti-Nuke Media Coverage....
> Datum: Freitag, 07. November 1997 22:01
>
> At 12:39 PM 11/7/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >
> >Despite the heavy public relations efforts promoting the so called
> >'smart weapons', it was Depleted Uranium (DU) Penetrators that were the
> >'stars' of Desert Storm.  These weapons have been described by top
> >Pentagon officials as the most significant development in battlefield
> >weaponry since the machine gun.
>
> Perhaps I am misinformed, but it's my understanding that DU has been in
use
> for armor-piercing applications for decades and is not a new Desert Storm
> technology. Am I right or wrong on this?
>

> Bob Flood
> Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
> (415) 926-3793     bflood@slac.stanford.edu
> Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.

I do not think that you are wrong, but I cannot really tell you when this
technology was introduced, but I had the pleasure (?) to serve two months
in the Austrian army in 1977 and from that time I remember that depleted
uranium was mentioned. I know that depleted uranium was (is) used because
of its high specific weight - only recently it was mentioned as
counterweights in airplanes. I know that it is used in racing sailing boats
in the "sword" beneath - sorry, I do not know, whether this is the correct
English expression. I remember that my good friend John McKlveen, who
unfortunately died some years ago did some consulting as to the radiation
exposure of sailors on these boats.

Franz