Deuterium Oxide and Diamonds

obtained from the Aldrich Chemical company in 1992. I do not have any
of the order details, catalogue numbers or indeed any of the material
left. I had purchased it with the specific purpose of seeing if it
contained any Tritium, due to the enrichment process. No information on
the tritium content, or the origin of this material was supplied. The
measurements made were very simple: a 1 ml aliquot was mixed with 15 ml
Ecoscint and counted. The count rate obtained was no different from the
background from local tapwater.

The D2O was supplied in glass ampoules.

I note from the current Aldrich catalogue that they do several versions
of their 99.9% and 100% D2O in glass ampoules and one (cat no 34,716-7)
is described as 'low tritium content ~150 dpm/ml). This would have been
way above our LS background!

So, it still remains a mystery as to why it should have been so
inactive.

If anyone is interested, I have 2 x 1g 'Poly(ethylene-d4) - presumably
100% deuterated polythene, ex Merck, Sharp and Dome of Canada and 1 x
20g 99.7% D2O, ex Norsk Hydro - both the packages look like they came
from the 50s or 60s, but there is no date on either. Might make
interesting museum pieces.

On the irradiated gemstones front, coloured diamonds (more valuable
than the plain type) are sometimes monitored for radioactivity, when it
is suspected that they have been generated in a neutron flux, rather
than deep underground. As far as I can recall, the colours come from
trapped free radicals, rather than a chemical impurity. Also, because
diamonds tend to be pure carbon, the level of induced activity is very
low, necessitating taking your counting equipment about 250m below
ground to resuce the ambient background. Frankly, I can't see what the
point of worrying about whether the diamond is naturally coloured or
artificially coloured is, since they are visually indistinguishable and
not (significantly) radioactive.

The problem comes, as did happen once, when the whole necklace was
irradiated. The diamonds went a pretty colour, but stayed non active.
The same could not be said for the gold....it was only when the wearer
was diagnosed as having radiation burns around the neck that the whole
story came to light.

Best wishes,
Simon Jerome
Email:	simon.jerome@npl.co.uk