Re: Radioactive gems circulating in Asia?

1 - Dear  Franz,

	The gemstone irradiation technology was developed also in Brazil, using
neutron sources from an MTR reactor, at the beginning of 1980. In 1981 I
needed to travel to USA because the NRC detected irradiated  blue topaz
gemstones imported from Brazil. The radiation level was 0.2 mR/h per stone
and 12 mR/h considering a bag of 100 stones. The main induced radioactivity
was from Sc-46. Research shows more than 50 induced radioactivity
impurities. The main concern is from the Scandium impurity. During the
meeting I had the opportunity to show at the NRC Officials,  propaganda from
American University also promoting such irradiation, including prices, etc.
At that time I myself bought gemstones in Los Angeles, irradiated in  the
EEUU. Still I have some of those gemstones (about 12) in my apartment in
Brazil. Since then, 1981, was forbidden in Brazil the commercial neutron
gemstone irradiation. Today in many countries, including USA, still there
are irradiated gemstones using electron beam. The color (London Blue) is
also as neutron, permanent, but not so beautiful. Using neutron technology I
believe, but I am not sure, only in some asian countries it is possible to
irradiate gemstone for export.
By the way, I will be again in Viena (Consultant Meeting at IAEA from 24 to 29)

2 - From: "Ralph A. Fobair" <novarso@franklin.lisco.com>:

>Michael Willamson was right in saying that some gemstones might be legally
>radioactive.

        Please, check your information about "legally" -- There is not
justification for neutron irradiation of gemstone, for commercial use

GO TO  ICRP 60, 4.3.1 (116), page 29 -- "The process of justification is
required not only when a new practice is being introduced, but also when
existing practice are being reviewed in the light of new information about
their efficacy or consequences. If such a review indicates that a practice
could not longer be claimed to produce sufficient benefit to offset the
total detriment, withdrawal of the practice should be considered".

GO TO IAEA BASIC SAFETY STANDARDS Safety Series 115,  2.22, page 22 --  "the
following practices are deemed to be not justified... (b) -- "Practices
involving the frivoulos use of radiation or radioactive substances in
commodities or products such as toys and personal jewellery or adornments"

Regards,

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>