Re: Bulgaria

It seems that similar or even higher rate of cancer as a result of the
Chernobil nuclear plant accident should be observed in Romania and
Southern Ukraine since the radioactive cloud passed these countries first
before reaching Bulgaria.  It is unusual that the radioactive cloud would
drop in Bulgaria bypassing Romania with its high Carpatian mountains.
One should expect similar rates of cancer due to Chernobil in the
neighboring countries (Macedonia, Serbia, Greece, European part of
Turkey) because Bulgaria is a small country and the distances to the
neighbors are small.

Another consideration is that (as far as I remember) the winds were
blowing towards north-northwest (Belarus, Baltic states, Sweden, Finland)
in the first days of the accident. What about increased cancer risks in
those countries in comparison with Bulgaria?  Of course, the pathways of
radioisotope deposition may differ from country to country.

Radoslav Radev
rado@uclink2.berkeley.edu