Re: "Counting" pump oil

Brian,

One technique I have used is to count a series of samples of pump oil,
say, 1.0, .8, .6, .5, .4, .3, .2, .1 ml of oil per scint vial. Report
the results as dpm/ml and plot against ml pe sample.  For no
interferances, you should get a nice horizontal line. If you have
quenching, chemoluminescence, etc., the value for dpm/ml should approach
the true value as ml/sample approaches zero.

This is not a very high tech approach, but sometimes is enough. Of
course you could combust the oil to get carbon-14 and tritium, but this
is complicated if you are not set up to do it.

good luck,
Wes

--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Associates, Inc.