Re: MQSA def'n rad

>Date:         Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:26:07 -0600
>Sender: Medical Physics Listserver <medphys@lists.wayne.edu>
>From: William Geisler <geislerw@DGABBY.MFLDCLIN.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: MQSA def'n rad
>To: Multiple recipients of list MEDPHYS <MEDPHYS@LISTS.WAYNE.EDU>
>

>         ** Mail from Medphys Listserver **
>If you reply to this message, it will be posted on Medphys for all the
>subscribers to review ...
>

>On Thursday, Nov. 13 1997 "Ira D. Miller" <milleri@connecti.com> wrote:
>
>>By the way has anyone noted the official definition for a rad in the new
>>MQSA.  1 gray = 100 radians (rads) = 114 R
>
>Yes, I saw this too.  However, is this really new?  Is this not just the
old "f-factor" conversion?  I.e., the 0.00876 Gy/R conversion factor for
absorbed dose (multiplied by the ratio of the mass energy absorption coeff
mu|en/density).

>As an aside (and given that I currently practice diagnostic physics), I
notice in Khans' _The Physics of Radiation Therapy_ that this factor is .876
rad/R while Johns and Cunninghams gives .873 rad/R.  Which witch is which?