Am-241 smoke detectors

Dear Radsafers:

A friend of mine has recently discovered that he has Am-241 smoke detectors
in his home and has asked me if it is a safe practice.  I have mentioned to
him that as far as I know it is.  These units have been used for years and I
have not heard anything negative about them.  Has anyone in Radsafe land
heard anything to the contrary?

Art Pérez
Environmental Health & Safety
Health Physics
University of California at Davis
Davis, California

530-752-3579/1493
530-523-0000 (pager)
530-752-4527  (fax)
916-523-0000  (pager)

"There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be
obtainable.  It would mean that the atom would have to be shatttered at will."
					---Albert Einstein, 1932

EH&S Web site:  http://ehs.ucdavis.edu