Re: Chromosome abnormalities in populations... Nevermind.

Dear Jim:
     The last paragraph in the BEIR V report deals with studies of
populations living in high background areas, and specifically cites
Guarapari, Brazil, Kerala, India, and Yanjiang County, PRC.  It says:
"In areas of high natural background radiation, an increased frequency of
chromosome aberrations has been noted repeatedly.  The increases are
consistent with those seen in radiation workers and in persons exposed at
high dose levels, although the magnitudes of the increases are somewhat
larger than predicted.  No increase in cancer has been documented in
populations residing in areas of high natural background radiation."
     Some obvious questions occur to me.  What is the prognosis (
relative health status over time) of the persons with the chromosome
aberrations ?  Are there any other unusual attributes of those who show
such aberrations as compared to those who do not?  What of the
reproductive experience of the populations and of the individuals with
chomosome changes?  Is there any difference in the types of chromosome
changes, and any associations with other exposures such as smoking and
alcohol use?  Some such associations were shown by Lazutka in a population
of Chernobyl clean-up workers ? (Lazutka et al. "Cytogenetic Study in
Peripheral Blood Lymphocytes of Chernobyl Clean-up Workers" Acta medica
Lituanica No. 2. pp62-67, 1997.  If you want a copy the address is
Department of Botany and Genetics, Vilnius University, M.K. Ciurlionio 21,
Vilnius 2009, Lithuania)
            John Goldsmith, M.D., M.P.H., Professor of Epidemiology
            gjohn@BGUMAIL.bgu.ac.il