Re: Tritium Watch

You wrote:
I recently happened upon a watch that I wore through high school
>(until 1981) which is a Timex .  On the back is the 3H symbol for
>tritium.  The small face of the watch dial glows continuously with a
>dull green glow...
>
>Wondering is anyone has seen a similar watch or might know how much
>tritium was typically used?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Ron Amoling
>amolingr@joslab.harvard.edu

Take a look at NCRP 95, "Radiation Exposure of the U.S. Population From
Consumer Products and Miscellaneous Sources".  Table 3.2 shows that the
average activity of a watch using tritium paint is 68.5 MBq.  (I assume that
this is what your watch has.  There are some watches which use tritium gas to
backlight a LCD.  These have an average of 7400 MBq of tritium.)  The average
annual whole body dose from wearing a tritium-activated luminous wristwatch is
0.6 mrem, with a range of 0.2 - 1.8 mrem/y.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com