RE: Fluoro of Pb Aprons

Group,
A number of people replied most with common sense approaches to my
question.  A couple asked for me to relay info, of course I neglected
to note those people. So if the group will excuse me.  The only concrete
reference at all was not to the "suggestion" to fluoro aprons but to
the "need" for them in dental practice.  NCRP 35, "Dental X-ray Pro-
tection: 1972 is sort of neutral. 4.8.2 and a foot note indicates the
gonadal dose is extrememly small [footnote says equivolent to 1 days
background] but it says it can be reduce further with the use of gonadal
shielding.  It does not say it either "should" or "shall" be reduced
further, simply that it can be.

I would still like to find out where the "recommendation" "suggestion",
or requirement to fluoro lead aprons came from.  When used in  fluoroscopic
proceedures I think it makes good sense but I can't get excited about the
godanal dose when a full mouth exam is only equivolent to 1 days back-
ground.  I suppose that is average US background not the background here
in the "Mile High City"

I guess I forgot to give a disclaimer befor, but any opinions expressed,
either here or in the original question reflect only my own opinion,
not that of Dept. of Veterans Affairs VA Denver, etc.

Peter G. Vernig, VA Medical Center, Denver

Please reply seperately to vernig.peter@forum.va.gov