Re: Accidents and Dose Limits

As my earlier note was truncated (I started a paragraph with the
forbidden "From"), I'll try to restate it:

********
I think there needs to be a little clarification of the actual
question.

When you license a facility, you DO ensure that public dose limits
should not be exceeded during routine operations.  You do NOT ensure
public dose limits will not be exceeded during an accident.  You DO
ensure that doses to the public are properly mitigated during an
accident.  This is clear from the Emergency Plan requirements.

There is a wider range of discretion when one is citing a licensee.
One regulator may issue 183 citations because there are 183
recorded measurements exceeding a limit.  Another may cite it once,
noting the 183 measurements.  What's the difference?  182 citations.
Look to your local DA's office for an idea on how they determine when
to "throw the book" and when not to.

Wes
Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us