Re: CNN reports, Chernobyl to be repaired...

At 04:05 PM 11/24/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I just read a little blurb on the CNN web site that a new shelter will be
>built over the #4 reactor.  The Ukraine has raised somewhere in the
>neighborhood of 400 million dollars.  Does anyone have any additional
>information about this, just curious.

I was just at the American Nuclear Society winter meeting last week
(Nov 17-20) and went to a panel discussion, "Chernobyl Sarcophagus
Implementation Plan."

The presentations were quite interesting and revealed the inadequacies
of the current sarcophagus. Members of the panel and their talks included:

*International Program Structure and Arrangements (Ray Hunter, DOE)
*Technical Overview and Long Term Issues (Dennis Kreid, PNNL and Norber
 Molitor,Trischler-Germany)
*Structural Stabilization/Shielding (Ed Warman, SWEC)
*Recriticality and Neutron Monitoring (Bob Scherpelz, PNNL and
 Leo LeSage, ANL)
*Cost Estimate (Bill DeFranco, SAIC)

Perhaps one of these individuals could be contacted for more information...

regards,
erik
--
Erik F. Shores, GRA