A film-badge/potential exposure question

        Radsafers,

        I had a friend (from another state) email me this question:

        Here's the problem:  A film badge was exposed to an accidental
discharge of a capacitor that is known to discharge @ > 200,000 amps.  The
film badge was located in an office about 100 feet from the capacitor
shielded by two cement block walls in between.  The optical density of the
film equated to a 75 RAD exposure.

Was the effect on the film badge caused by ionizing events from the EMP when
the capacitor discharged or a  change in the film emulsion density due to
the heat associated with the EMP?

        I have my own theory as to the answer, but would anyone else care to
make an "educated" guess???

        Joel

..
Joel T. Baumbaugh, MPH, MHP
baumbaug@nosc.mil
Radiation Safety Officer
SSC San Diego, CA

	NOTE:	The contents of this message have not been reviewed, nor approved by
the Federal Government, the U.S. Navy, my bosses or my wife...