RE: Proposed RP training standard

The (now disbanded) Radiation Protection Association (RPA), which was a
technician level organization for the establishment of professional
standards for RP techs, had proposed a standard (RPA3.1) for training and
qualification of HP techs. It proposed a knowledge evaluation (the NRRPT
exam) and a "qualification card" of common tasks for RP techs that could be
signed off by RPA-approved HP staff at the tech's place of business. A
stringent basic qualification was proposed with specialty certifications
available (fuel floor operations, nuclear med support, accelerator support,
etc.). The idea was to establish RPA tech qualifications as a known quantity
for employers in hopes that pay and employment stability for its membership
would improve.

Unfortunately, RP techs tend to be a very "independent" breed and the idea
of any kind of certification or qualification met with a very cool
reception. The last time I was on the old Health Physics Society BBS, a file
(RPA31.zip ?) containing the proposed requirements was available. It is a
very good starting point for a professional development program if you're
interested in developing your RP tech work force. It may be on the HPS web
site, but I have not checked.

-Gary Damschen
HP Training Mgr
MK-Ferguson of Oak Ridge
damschenga@mkf.ornl.gov

***the above musings are my own, etc.***