dosimetry Policies

Dear RADSAFE,

I'm trying to get a snapshot of the badging policies that are in place in
the US. Here at a DOE lab we follow 10 CFR 835 which roughly says that if
you are likely to get 100 mrem/yr or more from normal operations you should
be provided dosimetry. I understand that with NRC-regulated facilities the
number is 500 mrem/yr. I believe that the individual state-regulated facilities
follow the NRC guidelines(?). In actual practice the policy at radiation-
producing facilities seems to be much more restrictive. Some facilities and
even entire sites have been badged to err on the side of conservatism. On the
otherhand, some facilities badge only those people with a reasonable liklihood
(based on historical area monitoring, etc.) of approaching the above mentioned
limits.

Has anyone out there looked at the different policies in place? We are in the
process of formally justifying our policy change at our 3rd generation
synchrotron light source (accelerator) and would like to know what are the
rules and regulations outside of the DOE as well as what's actually in place.

PLEASE: I'm not trying to start a long discussion of the pro's and con's of
various badging policies. I would just like to see if anyone has already done
the legwork and summarized what's out there. Thanks in advance for any info.

--Rick Donahue
  RJDonahue@lbl.gov
  Lawrence Berkeley Lab