Re: HP Accreditation Degreed Programs

Several universities offer degrees in Health Physics.  The question as to
the professional bodies there was an interesting one.  I work at San Jose
State University where a MS degree is offered for a short period.  They are
putting the program on the shelf due to consolidation of funds to larger
programs.  Serveral universities are doing the same.

San Diego State University offers degrees as well as University of Nevada in
Las Vegas.  There is also the University of Oregon in Corveligus (spelling
is incorrect).  Numerous other university still have active programs.

At San Jose State University we are starting to look toward specialized
training in Health Physics, especially those for industry.  I have drafted
(on my own) a text book for the training of radiation workers in a general
laboratory environment.  I am trying to computerize the course such that it
may be offered over the internet. This is an interesting experience because
I am writing the computer parts as well.  All of the work is being done on
my own.

The Health Physics Society published a listing of universities offering
degrees in Health/Medical Physics.  I believe it was in the 93-95 time frame.

John Pickering
johnjp@email.sjsu.edu