Ra-226 try HASL 300

It think most analytical labs us HASL method 300.  A good source of
information is Erik Nielson at Quanterra Environmental Services

email   bormanb@quanterra.com

If I recall correctly, it is difficult to see anything less than 5 pCi/g
for 226Ra by gamma spec.  Ra-226 produces only 1 gamma line at a 3%
abundance that is also shared by U-235.  Ra-226 can be determined by the
Bi-214 and Pb-214 daughters if equilibrium is assumed.  However,
equilibrium can always not be assumed with soil/dirt samples.

At 01:55 PM 12/9/97 -0600, you wrote:

>A colleague asked about analyzing soil for Ra-226 using "in-growth gamma
>method". Is there a formal or regulatory "Method" (e.g., EPA) or is the
>reference simply to counting Pb-214 and Bi-214 markers?

******************************
R. William Field, Ph.D.
Division of Epidemiology
Department of Preventive Medicine