Re: ALARA

My long-term memory (which is frequently very foggy) tells
me that ALARA was adopted, not introduced, by NRC.  Years
ago I was on a NCRP committee drafting a report on ALARA in
health care.  Everyone was complaining about NRC
misinterpreting the ICRP's term, especially trying to make
what was intended as a voluntary program into a mandatory
one.  In any event, the committee put together
recommendations for a purely voluntary program to reduce
unnecessary occupational exposure, with the emphasis on the
R, not the ALAA.  I still consider such a program as
proper.  Any regulatory use of ALARA completely changes its
meaning, making it effectively a reduced dose limit.  That
is not what anybody (except a few regulators) had in mind.

S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD                    Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                         FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670     Email: s.julian.gibbs@Vanderbilt.Edu